Posted by Jim Oxley (Webmaster) on May 06, 2014
- 2 to 2.5 pounds round steak, about an 1/2 inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 2 cans of campbell cream of mushroom soup
- small amount of milk
1) Cut the steak into serving sizes. Rub flour into both sides of the steak. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2) Heat a covered skillet, I use a electric skillet, to medium high heat. Add 2 Tbsp of oil to coat the skillet.
3) Place the steak in the skillet, and cook for approximately 10 minutes on each side, enough to brown the steak. Remove the steak from the skillet and set aside.
4) In a small bowl mix both cans of cream of mushroom soup. Mix in a small amount of milk to make a gravy.
5) Return the steak to the skillet. Pour the gravy over all of the steak. Cover the skillet with a tight fitting lid. Bring the steak to a simmer and then lower the heat to the lowest heat possible to maintain a low simmer.
6) Cook for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. After about half way through the cooking time turned the steak over. The steak should be tender after the total cooking time. To check it, you can poke it with a fork.
NOTE: I always have mashed potatoes with Swiss Steak.